Wednesday, September 6, 2023

Private Parts

In case my children ever read this, I won't repeat our conversation verbatim. I don't want to embarrass them. But I have to say their innocence hurts it is so cute. I hope they didn't see me laughing. I don't want to dim the brightness of their unabashedness. They kept asking, "What's the girl's part again?”

This week we went from saying "boy parts" and "girl parts" to "penis" and "pagina." (We'll get there.) Also, I don't want them to take it as a laughing matter. It is said that instances of sexual abuse are reduced by up to 70% when children know the correct names of their body parts. When they say, "Don't touch my penis," the miscreant who is trying to will be put on notice that we talk about these things at home.

I'm surprised to find there's something holy about naming things. Hearing those words on my children's lips warns even me: This is real. This is sacred. Tread lightly.

(2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment